Tuesday, January 1, 2013

No more buying - a FAST in the year of 2013

Having watched Goodbye-Valentino and followed her journey on not buying RTW clothes,  I've been thinking about going on a similar fast. And I'd like to personalize it to make it work for me, by going on a buying-fast for a year from all buying - RTW clothes, fabric, books, DVDs, kitchen stuff etc - a moratorium of sorts, even from thrift stores where all sorts of interesting things find me. 3 very similar cast iron woks, anyone?  ::)

While I am not a hoarder and my house is not stuffed, I do have a lot more than what I need. Considering my sensory issues, I feel overwhelmed and I have f.i.n.a.l.l.y figured out that I do function well in an uncluttered minimalistic environment. So, it's time to declutter and pare them down or use them up. Keywords here are use/declutter/donate/freecycle/sell.


I do have enough fabric, books, videos!!! My fabric stash is plenty, with wonderful fabrics!! I have enough sewing books and DVDS. And I have enough patterns - My pattern stash isn't large but I do have some Burda & Ottobre magazines and maybe 12-15 other patterns from the big 4 pattern companies - I still won't be able to sew them all in 2-3 yrs even if I get cracking today!  ;) So, there's no excuse to buy more patterns for a year.


As one of the experienced ladies at SG hinted about how people switch from buying RTW to buying more fabric, I'm slowly aware that I tend to move from buying one stuff to another. And I'm really tired of this accumulation and want to do spent my time using the stuff I already have, rather than wasting my time accumulating more stuff. So I need to cover as much loopholes as I can! Lurking at the decluttering thread and also reading a few minimalistic blogs have been very helpful as I understand now that the 'stuff' overwhelms me and holds me back.

So, NO MORE BUYING!! I AM GOING ON A FAST!!

Some Exceptions:
- Food, toiletries, medicine
- socks, undies, a winter jacket and a polarized sunglasses for my eye sensitivity
- notions without which I cannot finish projects that I have been working on - say, a zipper or interfacing or lining, etc
- Renovations around the house + furniture + appliances which have already been carefully planned and budgeted for.
- Experiences like In person classes, Eating out in restaurants, tickets to events, etc
- 2 Craftsy classes and no more (I hope Craftsy comes with a great jacket construction class or fitting class) I do not have access to really good local sewing classes and craftsy has been a blessing! So, I'll give myself an allowance of 2 craftsy classes, if I'm dying to buy them. :)
- Gifts
- Everybody else in the family is excluded from this fast. And I cannot go shopping for them, unless it's an urgent need!

I just found out that a few other bloggers are going on a similar fast too!

- Sew Essentially Sew
- Meg the Grand
- What would Nancy Drew wear?

It would be interesting to follow their journey as well as feel inspired to stay on course.


11 comments:

  1. This post was exactly what I was thinking. So articulated my thoughs perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Alethia! It will be tough, and I will have withdrawal symptoms! But doing this fast, will help me in a lot of different ways!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know about the Seamless Pledge? It's a good way to connect with other people making a similar pledge to buy less and live more sustainably!
    http://seamlessblog.wordpress.com/the-pledge/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay, it is nice to read your post and feel that I have company on this fasting/stash busting journey. It will make the journey easier knowing that there are like-minded people going through the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Gillian for sharing that! I'm going to check it out. Seamless sounds very much like 'The Compact', which I love!

    Graca, very true! Having like minded company will make the journey easier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm doing a similar fast! I called mine "No-New New Year".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. I have battling the "stuff" the past few months in my house as well, and it's overwhelming. I'm trying to figure out a way to cut down on what I consume. Although with a new baby in the future, we seem to be accumulating way more stuff!! This is a great pledge to take on and I wish you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Lisette! How nice to have more company! I added your link to the above post as well.

    Thanks Liza Jane, for your wishes. It does get overwhelming, isn't it! Too-much-of-a-good-thing factor going on, I guess! Good luck with the pregnancy and the delivery.. All the other 'stuff' can wait for their time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to the club!!! Now that all my stuff is in boxes for my move, I haven't been using anything, but it's cleaner than it ever has been in my sewing area!! I'm excited to see what you make this year from your stash!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey, look who is here! Meg, the grand!!!

    I'm so glad to see you doing the stash buster this year... and am very much looking forward to reading about your adventures too. Good luck, Meg!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea and I can’t wait to see how you do with it. I’m not sure that I’m up for committing to stop all purchasing, but I definitely want to roll it back (a lot!). I spent the last weekend cleaning up and organizing the fabric that I do have and now it’s time to actually use it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Friendly comments or constructive feedback are always welcome.

All comments will be moderated to prevent spam.